Monday, April 2, 2012

The Design Level -Visual Layer, Compositional Layer, Simple Layer

Although I have great appreciation for stability and function, I often realize that design is what is seen, and it acts as the cosmetic link to what is built. Good design is what makes things look and feel seamless and often sets the tone for the future. Both in carpentry and one’s character, it is what someone first sees that inspires others to create something new at an equal or better level.
Visual Layer
Design on the visual level is important in order to be attractive to another, but it is equally important how one feels about him- or herself. How each of us need to act will change, and thus the visual design might change. But I feel that, whatever changes happen to our visuals, it is important to have an unattached eye as to how one looks, as well as openness for what may come in the future. As a result, the visual layer can maintain the flexibility needed so we can view anything as “beautiful,” even if sometimes what is beautiful to us is unstable and doesn’t function as well as we would like.
I’m clearly no fashion guru and probably can pick out a door better than a dress. But I spent time around some sharp, cutting-edge people who are always at the top of their “visual game.” Some of these people have had the power to change society’s visual game. Many of these people agree with the idea that “it is not what you wear but how you wear it.” For example, I think this starts with a smile. It is not that one is wearing a smile but how they feel when they “wear” it. An honest smile can center us mentally and visually. If it was not for a smile, I might not have talked to that woman on the park bench.
Compositional Layer
Being centered has to do with placement. Placement has to do with the composition of a design. Composition has to do with balance. It is the overall feeling of how pleasing something is that is seen. For example, without an honest smile, this “girl on the park bench” and I may have never felt composed enough to meet each other. As for balance of the visual, our choice often comes as to where we want to put our attention. For example, do we want to place our attention towards how we look or feel? Or should we focus on balancing what is needed at a given time?
Simple Layer
A lot of great design has a layer of simplicity. In terms of the technical tools of today, one might say how “user-friendly” something is. I see this for humans in how approachable and accepting we are of our own views and actions. For example, when others encounter us, perhaps they feel openness and understanding before words are even exchanged. I find this to be one of the most rewarding things because the positive energy given off can be felt by those around us, no matter how we might look visually. Often, it comes down to choices as to what and who I want to be near. It is important to ask ourselves if someone might make our life more complicated or create a simple, happy design for our charter and life.
It has been years since my first meeting with “the girl on the park bench.” Much has changed. She is no longer working in finance, and I rarely do carpentry anymore. As it turned out, the “safe place” we were looking for became the love we found in each other. Sometimes, we made our lives simple, and other times, it was complicated. Eventually, we moved in different directions, but we were blessed with a better understanding of how we will build and rebuild the levels and layers of our individual characters.
I often find that my quest in life, for the most part, is for an understanding of truth and beauty in efforts to be in sync with nature. The tough part for me is that, because I can see so much as “beautiful,” it becomes a challenge find out if it is honest or true. Part of me knows I will never find the truth without the proper use of my senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment